Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Tooth Fairy

Baby is a late bloomer indeed. The average age for the first tooth to emerge is at 6 months, so I've been waiting, and waiting, and waiting. I was even anxious that Baby's first tooth might pop while I was in Singapore for a few days (@ 8 months). Of course I wouldn't want to miss that special milestone. And her poor gums have been itching and aching and swelling for the longest time. Last week was kind of different. Even her sleep was disrupted for 4 straight nights (and so was ours!) She would wake every hour, crying inconsolably and uncontrollably.

And then I saw the tiny white thing on her lower front gums. This signals yet another sign that she's growing more and more each day. Until such time when she's totally independent of me. Although I would like to see her develop normally (or preferably even more advanced compared to other kids), it somehow depresses me to imagine the day when she will not need any of me anymore. It would be too selfish for me to wish that she remains to be my baby forever, so I'm just praying that we would be able to raise her as a good Christian.


Anyway, I bought this tiny tube of Hyland's Teething Gel from Healthy Options (not cheap, almost P600 for 1/3oz.) I was just convinced to buy it because it's 100% natural. No minimum or maximum number of application. Yes it didn't have any side effects. Honestly it didn't have any effect at all, if you ask me. I would still feel much pity for Baby because she continues to cry even after applying this to her gums. The good news is, we're pretty sure it's safe for baby's sensitive gums. The bad news is, it's a total waste of cash.



Thankfully, my mother-in-law gave us another teething gel, Bonjela brand, from their family trip to the US several months ago. I'm not sure if it's available in Manila, but I've never seen it here. I have no idea of the price either, but this is what I would highly recommend. Baby starts feeling better (i.e. stops crying) a few minutes after application. The downside is that you will have to wait for at least 3 hours before you can apply again. So the trick is to apply the gel right before you put the baby to bed. It will provide the necessary relief for her to have her sweet dreams.

The intensity and duration of the pain differs for each baby. I'm glad I only had 4 sleepless nights in my case.

0 comments: